Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Literary Where I’m From by Toni Ruscitto-D’Addario

I’m from Italian alphabet chants and Italian number songs.
From the church hymns and prayers that my nonna valued so.

I’m from the broken English and Italian combination daily expressions
Metti allu garbeech, giocca nella backayard and don’t go in the frontaroom.

I’m from sitting and listening to stories of school days and childhood in small town Italy
and the when I was your age analogies.

I’m from reading groups-high, medium, low.
From ‘I’ before ‘e’ except after ‘c’ , change the ‘y’ to ‘I’ and add ‘es’, and when two vowels go walking the first one does the talking.

I’m from Mr. Muggs and Dr. Seuss,
From Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew,
From Sesame Street, Electric Company, Polka Dot Door and Mr. Rogers.

I’m from the monthly walks with my teacher to the what seemed ever so far library,
From the weekly adventures in the Bookmobile parked in the school yard.

My later days introduced me to Shakespeare, Catcher in the Rye, Of Mice and Men,
And Le Petit Prince.

Full circle I have come today as a teacher and a mom of two,
I now read emails, texts, pings and the news on yahoo.

When the day is done, I’m from Sudoku, crosswords, and Vogue in bed,
And finally a nightly prayer recited or read.

3 comments:

  1. Antonella,

    I remember the bookmobile. I always thought it was "the greatest thing since slided bread." One summer, when I was in university, my cousin worked in a bookmobile. I travelled around with her and the driver one day. To my surprise, the drive not only drove the truck, but also signed out books. Can you imagine the job description: Wanted someone who can drive a transport truck and check out books. Everywhere we went people took full advantage of the service and loved it. What ever happened to this great library service? Wait and see, sometime in the near future, there will be drive throughs installed in public libraries. I can see it now, here are your two books, would you like fries with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your poem made me feel. You have made reading and rhythm (both musical rhythm and life's rhythm)sound like a relationship of comfort. I am not from Ontario but you have given me a picture of popsicles and hot summer days, books cherished and friends...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to the broken english by your parents, mine were immigrants also and those analogies still keep coming. You don't always realize how the way you did things as a child impacts how you work today. The book mobile was FABULOUS!! I told my grade 1's last year the rule about the vowels walking!!! I enjoyed your poem, you had many good experiences as a child and have adapted and changed with the technological times...will you "Twitter" next??

    ReplyDelete